I was looking for a “why” for investing my time in Atmel AVR devices, because with a “why” progress is always faster. I think making an autonomous robot with dog-like behaviour will make an excellent one / two year multi-layer project, that will be able to demonstrate itself at the end. Also it won’t consume too much cash.
This post is to create a problem description, expected outcomes, and path I’ll be taking. It will also be a reference when I forget where I was going with this.
- Being able to find my ‘Droid when it has gone missing around the house, and (more reguarly) being able to find my wife’s Crackberry is a fairly regular occurrence. So, I’d like to build something that can find both of these WiFi enabled devices. Also, being able to search out iPhones and WiFi APs, like a drug sniffer dog, would be mildly entertaining for family and visitors.
- Autonomously seek out and approach WiFi sources in order of strength.
- “Bark” when the device is in close proximity.
- Navigate & travel at dog speed in an unfamiliar environment.
- Avoid aggressive obstacles within the map. “Growl” at these obstacles.
- Reorientate autonomously if an aggressive obstacle “picks up” or “plays”.
- Follow someone around whether or not they have a WiFi device.
- The floor is flat. Litter can be avoided. -> a cheaper indoor chassis can be used.
- The room is small. 10m x 10m map can be built, with translation as map edge approached. -> memory conservation.
- Build chassis platform for use indoors.
- Build motor controls to allow straight line, radius, and B?zier motion.
- Build emergency collision avoidance.
- Build long distance sensors.
- Build voice box – bark, growl, yap, whine, etc.
- Build area mapping.
- Build aggressive object collision avoidance.
- Build aggression response.
- Build WiFi sensors & target mapping.
- Build intelligence logic to enable end result.
- Build Thermal sensors & target tracking.
1x Pololu 5″ inch Robot Chassis RRC04A http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/353
1x Pololu 42 x 19mm Wheel and Encoder Set http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/307
1x TB6612FNG Dual Motor Driver Carrier http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/319
1x Pololu Ball Caster with 1″ Plastic Ball http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/370
2x 30:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/344
1x Arduino Duemilanove http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove
(will be replaced in step 9.)
1x Arduino Proto Shield http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7914
- Emergency Sensors
3x Pololu Carrier with Sharp GP2Y0D810Z0F Digital Distance Sensor 10cm
- Long Distance Sensors.
2x Sharp GP2Y0A02YK0F Analog Distance Sensor 20-150cm http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/272
1x SRF10 Dual Transducer Ultrasonic Ranger http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/srf10tech.htm
- Voice Box.
1x Piezo Buzzer from NerdKits
- Aggression Sensors.
- WiFi Sensor (and revised Microcontroller Platform).
1x BlackWidow 1.0 http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/blackwidow-10-p-613.html
- Thermal Sensor.
1x Thermopile Array http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/294
So, maybe the next post once some more details are to hand.